Tuesday, April 4, 2017

What is a Tanka?


April is set aside as National Poetry Month to celebrate poets and poetry. The Academy of American Poets and other  poetry organizations schedule events this month. 

For more information visit: National Poetry Month.

My second favorite poetry style is a Tanka (plural Tanka).


tan·ka /ˈtäNGkə/(noun)
  1. a Japanese poem consisting of five lines, the first and third of which have five syllables and the other seven, making 31 syllables in all and giving a complete picture of an event or mood. 5/7/5/7/7=31


Nature Tanka
 By Maritza M. Mejia@2015

~Summer Breeze~


Tell me gentle wind
Is it at last hot summer?
I can feel warm air
Announcing he is coming
Wet, tan, fun, in the offing


~ Misused Nature~

As the earth spins
Some feel the temperate breeze
Others the cool freeze
Mother Nature screams out
Please be kind is all I ask


~Colorful Sky~

Seasons come and go
Bringing hot, warm, or cold air
Unfolding colors
Yellow, Orange, tan, red, green,
What a beautiful display!


  For this month readings, I present to you my Award Poetry Book:


Challenge
Happy Poetry Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visits!