1. SELECT carefully: Conferences vary from regional and small ones to national and huge events. Are you preparing for one big event with thousands of people around you? Take this in consideration before committing to a conference that doesn’t fit your need. Focus on your convenient goals.
|Florida Writers Association|
|American Library Association|
2. PREPARE watchfully: Revise Conference Schedule, Workshops, Lectures and Locations. Use any App or Website information to plan your own schedule. Reserve in a hotel near the event or at the event. It sounds crazy, but taking a conference in the same hotel you are staying or driving to the venue makes a HUGE difference. Conferences are not only a great source to learn, but also an exhausting experience.
3. BRING essentials : if you are an author be sure to have business cards, enough books, promotional stands, and any swag (free stuff and giveaways offered by vendors at trade shows to encourage attendees to visit their booth). Swags vary according to your budget like bookmarks, pencils, buttons or bracelets. You can create your own Postcard using any Paint program in your computer. This is mine!
4. FOCUS on your Goals: At the Conference, follow your pre-planned schedule, get on time to lectures and take at lot of photos. If you need brakes, take it! It is important to rest in order to enjoy the conference. Drink plenty of water and have snacks in your purse to avoid long lines. It also helps you save time and money.
Mini-Florida Writers Association
|American Library Association |
- One Week -
5. ENJOY your adventure: At home, prepare for the after-conference. Send thank you cards to people who helped your over the event. Or sent e-mails to appreciate the new friendships you made. Post photos and engage with your audience in Social Media. It’s amazing how the power of technology help you promote your books.