Thursday, January 4, 2018

Writing Goals for the New Year

I believe Writing Goals for the New Year need to be based on previous achievements rather than failures. I usually learn more from mistakes and obtain courage from success, but it is important to take time to Plan, Prepare and Project a Blessed & Successful  writing goals.

In the 12 Days of Christmas for Authors” by Julie Foster Hedlund, I learned that the reason resolutions often don’t work is because they start from a place of lack, of negativity, of failure.  “When times are tough, when you start feeling as if your dreams are eluding you, it becomes MORE IMPORTANT to reflect on your accomplishments and give yourself credit for all that you DID achieve.” 
Prepare you list of goals with a positive mind and a grateful heart ready for expectation, challenges, surprises and successes.

Here is my list of my major professional accomplishments 2017 based on activities from previous years:


1. Participate in the Fefi.Teve Forums. 
2. Participated in Book Fairs in my County.
3. Participated in an International Book Fair (FILBo). 
4. Received the Author’s Talk Book Show Award for my FIVE books published.
5. Published Vanilla and Chocolate Second Edition.
6. Joined Multicultural Children’s Book Day.
7. Joined Rhyming Revolution
8. Joined ReFoReMon
9.Joined Poetry Marathon Challenge
10. Joined a Critique Group and Wrote My first Rhyming Picture Book.
11. Accepted poems for The Poetry Marathon Anthology 2016 & 2017.

12. Accepted a Children Story for Anthology at La Nota Latina 2018.

All those achievements  were possible becasuse...
I'm thankful for my supportive husband and children. 
I'm thankful for my flexible job that allow me to enjoy my writing experience. 
I'm thankful for the supportive Kidlit community and online critique group. 
I'm thankful for an excuse to read books and review them for my blog to support authors. 
I'm thankful for a creative career that makes me happy and the hard moments that make me stronger.

For Writers is important to set up goals to finish a book . Here is my Blueprint 2018:

1. Work on my RPB to make it submission-ready this year. 2. Have one event per month to be able to keep writing and researching for my next non-fiction book. 3. Take car of my health, eat well, rest and walk more. 4. Support more authors. AND 5. Enjoy the ride.
What is your writing goal?

Maritza Martínez Mejía
Mother, Educator, Bilingual Author and Translator
Recipient of the Crystal Apple Award 2006, VCB Poetry Winner 2015, Author’s Talk Book Award 2016, The Latino Book Awards 2016 and Author’s Talk Book Show 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visits!